Knock Shrine in Knock, Co Mayo
Pilgrimage Walk, Anointing of the Sick and Stations of the Cross.
The Story of Knock began on the 21st August, 1879 when, at approximately 8 o’clock in the evening, fifteen people from the village of Knock in Co. Mayo, witnessed an Apparition of Our Lady, St. Joseph, St. John the Evangelist, a Lamb and cross on an altar at the gable wall of the Parish Church.The witnesses watched the Apparition in the pouring rain for two hours, reciting the Rosary. Although they themselves were saturated not a single drop of rain fell on the gable or vision. There were fifteen official witnesses to the Apparition, most of whom were from the village of Knock and surrounding areas and ranged in age from just 5 years old to 74 years old. Each of the witnesses gave testimonies to a Commission of Enquiry in October 1879. The findings of the Commission were that the testimonies were both trustworthy and satisfactory.
A number of cures and favors are associated with visitors to Our Lady of Knock’s Shrine and those who claim to have been cured here still leave crutches and sticks at the spot where the apparition is believed to have occurred. Each Irish diocese makes an annual pilgrimage to the Marian Shrine and the nine-day Knock novena attracts ten thousand pilgrims every August.
Today Knock Shrine is set in one hundred acres of beautiful landscaped gardens with meandering pathways and a diverse range of flowers, shrubs and trees. The complex incorporates five churches including the apparition chapel, parish church and basilica, a religious books centre, caravan and camping park, Knock Museum, Café le Chéile and Knock House Hotel.
Services at the shrine include organised pilgrimages, daily masses and confessions, anointing of the sick, counselling service, prayer guidance and youth ministry.
Taking a pilmgrimidge to Knock then stay with us at McWilliam Park Hotel, just 10 minutes from the shrine.